Monday, May 09, 2016

Silver Linings (Spring 2016) //

Before this post gets underway, I would like to apologize in advance for my recent absence on blogger. I really don't have a valid reason for it; all I can say is that I have been super busy lately, with the fashion show coming up in just 2 days! In honor of the hard work I've put in, I decided to post this brief promo video that I filmed for this collection. Please enjoy it! //



Silver Lining (n): an expression emphasizing the hope in an unfortunate or gloomy situation

This collection features evening wear for sad princesses. After all, being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be. Society judges your every move, and everyday is centered around a series of rules and regulations. There is hope, princess. You make your own fairytale. Make life beautiful with the Silver Linings collection. //

I got the inspiration for this collection from castles, fountains, sculptures, and other architecture associated with royalty. The whole theme was "sad princesses;" focusing on the societal pressures put on young girls in society, while drawing the parallel to the rules and expectations put on those in royal families. However, there is still hope even in the darkest of situations, and I wanted this collection to be able to tell the stories of girls overcoming their struggles and oppression. Hence, the "silver linings" (each garment literally has silver lining on the inside), but also the idea of looking for the beacon of hope even in the most difficult of situations, and holding onto it.

I kept the color palette for this collection in the cool colors, to create the moody atmosphere. However, all of the fabrics are very light and flowy, which maintain a very feminine look. Additionally, the floral overlays and patterns created throughout the garment add another layer of texture and femininity, gaining influence from the multi-layered skirts, corsets, and underwear in the Victorian era; worn especially by royal families. //
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ fashion, food, art, travel, & adventure ~

Contact

milla.barker.99@gmail.com